Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Today was the first day in 2008 that I rode my bike to work. Wow, was that ever hard. I was huffing and puffing by the time I pulled into the parking lot at work. When I got in, our receptionist asked how my ride was and I told her I had jelly-legs. I even had to stop to rest at one point before coming the last little way because I was finding even the little hills tough. She laughed and said I was like this every Spring when I start riding again. But I really don’t remember it being quite this hard. I’d never had to stop before.

Bruce has to take my bike in to the shop, though. The handle bars are loose, and neither of us are capable of tightening them. Remember, we’re geeks, not jocks. Apparently there are some boys at school that call Brendan a nerd, and he doesn’t like it. Unfortunately, he comes by it honestly. We are a nerdy family – and a geeky family. I think Shaeleigh may be the most normal one out of the bunch of us, but she’s only 5 still. Give her a few years.

I was listening to a broadcast about fasting on Come Receive the Light at the Orthodox Christian Network’s website. It was interesting. Many people in the Church have been asking me how I’m doing with Lent this year. It’s my first Great Lent as an Orthodox Christian, although we did the Nativity Fast before Christmas. But it is our third year of being at St. Vincent’s through Lent, and we had given up other things through Lent before. I mentioned to someone else about how we’ve done Lent before, and she commented that we are all in a state of progression, though, and that we all learn through Lent how to fast. That it takes time. And the broadcast I listened to mentioned how people often go gung-ho at the beginning of Lent, and then peter off as it continues. I mentioned for me what is difficult is that while we are doing Lent, I’m also having to rethink my eating habits in general – which will need to last beyond Lent. So it’s felt like I would have had a huge change anyway.

Day 12 - I have been finding that I often feel hungry, but when I’m hungry I also feel kind of sick. This is not a new to Lent thing, I had noticed it before Lent, too. Bur then I would just generally eat to try to make that feeling go away, then I’d eat and feel bloated and gross. Whenever I go for my appointments at the CRI clinic, they ask me if food tastes bad. The food doesn’t taste bad, but I never seem to feel very good whether I’m eating or not.

I’m tired of feeling tired. And I’m done with not feeling 100%. If it’s going to get worse than this, I need to learn to not complain as much, because otherwise I’ll be complaining all the time.

Oh, and I haven’t eaten after 7 even though I was making lunches and there was a lot of yummy food that I would have loved to munch on. I’m looking forward to my lunch tomorrow. I have rice with BBQ lentils, salad, fruit salad, and rice pudding (sort of).

No comments: