Monday, February 14, 2005

Making Time - My Children

Talk about lacking time. Work was really busy on Friday, and I didn't get a chance to blog at lunch (I barely had time to eat lunch) and I knew I would have an appointment today at lunch and not get a chance to blog. So I had intentions of getting here on the weekend to write something down. Well that didn't happen either. And at the rate the busy-ness is, if I don't make time for this, it just won't happen. Kind of like the devotion time we were having for Lent. It's not even a week in and we have already missed two days. And I'd bet we'd both say we'd skip tonight, except I'm going to be stubborn, and insist that we do it anyway, even though we are both really tired.

What I really wanted to mention is that our church had communion last night. It was a time of focusing on the Cross (we have a really huge, rough-looking cross in our sanctuary). And we had papers and pens to write what we wanted to put on the cross. The funny thing is, I thought, "I don't have anything to put on the Cross. I think I've been really open with God. I'm not holding onto anything." And then, WHAM!!, I remembered about the post I wrote a couple days ago -- about having a hard time letting God take care of my children instead of me. Then I realized, just like many other times in my life, I had a little glimpse of what God was going to ask of me before he asked. So I wrote my children down on that piece of paper, thanking God for the blessing of being able to raise them, but recognizing that they aren't really mine. They are God's. I am just blessed by having the privilege of raising them.

That was a quick realization. Now we'll see how well I do in actually living out that belief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you "heard" from God about what to write on the paper. Way to have a listening ear! Expect that you will continue to hear from God on how to do this day to day - He will continue to speak into your life!
DH