Friday, February 25, 2005

I'm Concerned - My Son

My son keeps saying that he wants to be a girl, he wants to be me, or he wants to be his sister. He prefers us to say that he's pretty instead of handsome and says that being a boy is boring.

I'm not sure if I should be really concerned or not. I'm not entirely sure how to handle it. I remember when I was younger, I didn't want to be a girl. But I didn't really want to be a boy. I didn't want to be me because I didn't like me or my life. In fact, I never really came to accept who I am until I was in my 20s.

I don't want to give too much attention to his claims of wanting to change gender. But, on the other hand, I don't want to completely ignore him, either. I'm just not sure how to help him to see that he is a wonderful boy who will grow into a wonderful man - that God gave him special gifts and abilities - and that who he is is okay.

I don't know if my parents ever knew that I struggled like that. I don't remember them doing or saying anything to help me appreciate who I am. But my memories are skewed to how I perceived things as a child, and I'm not sure that Brendan will remember any of this when he grows up, either.

No comments: