Thursday, February 10, 2005

Making Time for our Dreams

Bruce and I started doing The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren together for Lent. In the past we have given up TV, beef, or other such things. I found with the TV being off (actually it was in our basement unplugged so the kids wouldn't ask every day to watch it) we broke a bad habit of watching so much television. It was nice to find time in the day again. Of course, now it is filled with so many other things -- one of them not being a devotional time together. So that is why we are spending time together for Lent instead of taking something out of our lives. Instead, we are putting something into our lives -- something that should have been a part of our marriage right from the beginning.

Why does it seem so hard to "make time" for God? We make time for a lot of things, but that just seems to be one of the last priorities on our list. And it's funny because the first chapter in the book talks about how our focus is wrong, and that's why we can't seem to find purpose to our lives. It's all about "me, myself and I." But instead it should be about God. And he is not just our "starting point," He is our source.

One of the points that I've been mulling over in Warren's book talks about how we can't rely on my dreams, my plans and my ambitions. And yet, I've been reading a book by Bruce Wilkinson called The Dream Giver. It talks about how God has given us our dreams. We have dreams because God made us for a reason, and then He put that reason in our hearts. That's why we have our strengths (and our weaknesses) and we usually all have big dreams. So what's the difference between it being my dream and it being the dream God gave me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on putting things back into your life. I'll be watching your blog to see some of your reaction to the Dream-Giver. I'd love to hear your impressions!