Monday, February 16, 2009

A New Hunt?

I’m a sucker for punishment.

Those who have been around us know that we went through the gruelling ordeal of trying to sell our house last Fall. It all began when we were looking at open houses and saw a house that began taking us down the road from thoughts of renovating to thoughts of buying another house and moving. It seemed to make sense. The cost would be about the same; however, the stress of renovations would last much longer than the process of moving to a new house. Or so we thought.

We had impeccable timing. Well, atrocious may be more accurate.

We found the house we wanted. Put the offer in. The vendor accepted the offer. We listed our house. Yay! Well on our way to owning a new-to-us home. Like I said, though. Timing is everything.

Right after we listed our house an election was called and the stock market crashed. We kept extending the condition of the sale of our house, brought down our asking price -- twice. Still no bites. Finally in December, after trying to live with two small children in a show home, we decided to call it quits. Even though it seemed to us that the house we wanted was going to be ours, the stress was too much. We gave up. I hate December at the best of times. Bruce has been off his meds, and I didn’t want him on them again. Christmas was right around the corner with family coming for the holidays. Not a good time to be trying to keep our house clean to show others. I discovered through the process that I don’t like to live in a fish bowl.

So our discussions turned back to renovating this house. At least we wouldn’t have to try to sell our house.

Here’s where the sucker comes in. I still keep my eyes open on For Sale signs. We gave our realtor a break, but somewhere in the back of my mind I keep thinking that our house is out there somewhere. So tonight, while we were visiting with friends, the topic came up because they have a neighbour selling. Then they told us a house around the corner was also up for sale, and another one across the street is going to be listed soon. It is a nice neighbourhood. They would be good neighbours. One of the houses had caught my eye as I was browsing the MLS site a while ago. And I’d pointed it out to Bruce as we drove past last week.

Now I’m not sure if I’m excited or fearful, but we are going to call our realtor to take a look at this house. A part of me wants to fall in love with it. A part of me wants it to be all wrong so we don’t have to do anything.

When will I ever learn?

No comments: