Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I have been meaning to read “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey for a long time. It was one of my text books in Bible College. I still haven’t made it through the whole book. (not even half-way, if I’m completely honest) But I have read about how the people we love, like our children, behave the way we treat them. If I believe my son is a misbehaved brat and tell him that every day, he will act like a misbehaved brat. It’s the power of words combined with self-fulfilling prophecy. (I'm not sure Covey terms it that way - that's my interpretation)

I’m seeing some of the results of that with my kids. I’m afraid I have categorized them, and they know it. We have branded our son as the intellect who is exceptionally good with numbers, reading and spelling. And we have called our daughter girly, princess and “the artist.” Ever since she was little she has loved to paint or draw or create crafts. We even had to have a little talk about the difference between “art” and “vandalism.” We went over the definitions:

Art is when you draw on your own stuff
Vandalism is when you draw on other people’s stuff

She has begun calling herself an artist. And she is really talented – for a 6-year old. She comes up with ideas I never would have dreamed of. In the process, however, I think we have failed to communicate to her that she is good in other areas as well. She has picked up on reading really well lately, but she still doesn’t like to read that much. I read her stories, which she enjoys. But she doesn’t call herself a reader. That makes me sad, because I know she is capable. We just haven’t encouraged her in that area as much as we did with her brother.

Once again, I am reminded of how I am constantly affecting my children through my words, actions and beliefs. Lord have mercy on me and on them.

No comments: