Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Value Village

On Family Day we went looking for skates for Brendan. We found some at Value Village and he went skating on the rink. When he came in from skating, I noticed that there was a big hole in the toe of his skates. I’m fairly sure I didn’t buy them with a hole, but I didn’t check closely for any cracks in the skates. They are in the garbage now. Since the kids are off school this week, Bruce went to another place and bought Brendan some skates - $30 later….. Ouch. I didn’t realize even used skates are that expensive. And it especially seems like a lot for a little backyard rink in February. Can I keep his feet from growing this year?

At Value Village the kids also wanted to buy some books. We let them saying they had to pay us back and so they each picked out 5 books (at $1 a book) and used their Valentine’s money from Grannie and Grampa. I think Brendan has already read all of his books. He gobbles them up like candy – and that’s saying a lot seeing as he is a sugar addict. When Brendan was born, Bruce bought a book called “Raising a Reader” because he wanted to make sure we had kids who loved to read. I’m not sure we ever read the book, but our kids have developed a love for reading anyway. Aside from the fact that Brendan knew all his letters by age 2 and could sound them out by age 4, we have always read to our kids and we read ourselves. I think having books around all the time is bound to rub off on the kids in the house. Shaeleigh is starting to sound out letters and can read some simple words, but she still “reads” her books and loves to show us how she can read. Her reading is stories she has memorized and tells us the story from the pictures, but I love to hear her reading, too.

And I’m sad because while we were at Value Village, I lost my mitts. They weren’t in good shape, but they were warm. I can’t believe anyone would take them as they had been darned once or twice, and even then my thumbs were poking through the outer layer and the palm of the mitts was all ripped. The liner was nice and warm, though. Bruce bought me another pair at a sidewalk sale, but they are not as warm as my ones I lost. *pout* Phooey.

No comments: