Monday, February 04, 2008

Real Life? - Update

We were invited to a Superbowl party yesterday by good friends of ours. Those of you who really know us know that neither Bruce nor I are big sports fans – but we both love people, especially these people. So regardless of our enthusiasm (or lack thereof) for football, we willingly went. I had a fantastic time, and I think Bruce enjoyed himself, as well. I know our kids had a blast – they always love going to this particular place. And I had a really good visit with those who were there.

I love relationships. Maybe it’s the extrovert in me, but there’s nothing quite like getting together with a group of people to visit. I learnt a new way to play Scrabble – and my son got quite a kick out of playing with the Scrabble tiles to make all sorts of words. We have had Junior Scrabble for a while, but it doesn’t get pulled out and played with very often. I’m wondering, after seeing him yesterday play with the adult Scrabble tiles, if he would enjoy playing with the adult Scrabble better because each letter has a point value. Of course, it may end up being like most other board games. He appears to have an interest for a short time, but it’s really the computer games that draw his interest. What is it about the computer that completely sucks us in?

You may wonder how life is going since I said I was going to be quitting Neopets. Well....... That depends on if you think quitting is like not doing it at all anymore, or if quitting is like 'cutting back' and I still do some guild stuff once-in-a-while. It's been more like the cutting back. And sometimes it's really cut back (I didn't log into my account for a couple weeks at first) and sometimes it's not really cutting back at all (I was at the guild for a food fight all evening the other day). And now I've started doing some of the dailies again.

WHAT AM I DOING??????!!!!!?????

It started out that I just wanted to check on some guild members because they are going through a rough time. And it takes time to read everything and catch up on what's happening. And then I participate a little - but not a lot. And I've even had thoughts of running a round of What is IT? (a guild game that I was moderating). But I don't have TIME!!!! (that was for my benefit, btw). I have parish council minutes to finish editing and sending out. And I have kids to spend time with when I'm home. I have tests to go do at the hospital, and shopping that I never seem to make the time for.

I need a little shake and remind myself - what is eternal? What are you going to spend your time, energy and money on? Because wherever I invest these things, that's where my heart is.

Didn't I just say that I love relationships? Then why does the computer suck me in?

1 comment:

Chasing Inspriation said...

Computers are crazy things. I know why they suck me in. Because of the relationships I build through blogs, bulletin boards, instant messaging, etc. I don't spend all day doing these things because I have work during the day (even tho I have my IM programs open and do some blog reading during the down times). I have things at home and church, and my writing. But I have made some wonderful friends online.

The temptation for me is to only build the online relationships because they somehow seem easier yet equally as fulfilling as face-to-face relationships. It's the false intimacy our technology brings us. I don't regret the friends I've made, but over the last few years I've had some hard lessons on how false these relationships can be.

Face-to-face ones can also appear closer than they really are, but with tone of voice and body language it's a bit easier to see and hear where someone is at.

And sometimes, we need, or think we need, an escape from real life. Mine is reading. Yours is neopets. Both aren't evil things. It's how much time we give to them and our attitudes about them that we have to be diligent about. ((hugs))