Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Two Weeks Later

It has been 2 weeks since I started dialysis so I thought I would share some thoughts about the experience.

“OUCH!”
Over the last two weeks I feel as though I have done nothing but complain about how much my arm hurts. But my arm has changed over the last two weeks. Some of the pictures are a little blurry, but here is my arm over time:

Jan 17
I had my surgery for my fistula last April, and this is what my arm looks like after that has healed and before anyone started poking it. At the time I thought it looked a little big, especially where the fistula is. But it’s not easily seen in the picture. In real life, if you look at it closely, you can see my pulse.

Jan 20
After my 2nd treatment the fistula blew and my arm swelled a little. This is the day after. The blood had leaked into the arm, but you can’t really see it yet. It had been iced all night. While it was painful, it didn’t look really bad, yet.

Jan 21
some of the bruising is starting to show.

Jan 24
now the bruising is showing up and looks as painful as it feels.

Jan 31
Six treatments later and three days after my fistula blew for the second time. It blew again on my last treatment which was Saturday. Saturday’s treatment was not great as far as I was concerned because my fistula blew and I was in pain during the four hours I was hooked up to the machine. (After icing my arm, a nurse needled me lower down and so I still had my treatment). Therefore, I didn’t get my homework done that I needed to do. You can see where the bandaid was on my arm. Interesting.


“I keep almost passing out, but nobody is sure why.”
At the end of my first treatment, the nurse asked if I would hold my needle site. While I was holding it, I felt light headed like I was going to pass out. I thought maybe it was because I didn’t get all my blood back, and I couldn’t really handle holding my site because I had images of doing it wrong and bleeding to death. Yes, I know. A little overdramatic. My imagination runs away on its own sometimes.

Then there was a treatment where I was holding my own site (I realize I am NOT going to bleed to death), but then I felt really weak and like I was going to pass out again. I tried to call for my nurse, but even though it felt as though I was yelling, my nurse said I was calling out so quietly, she barely heard me.

Finally, on Saturday while I was still hooked up, but near the end of the treatment, I felt awful again, so the nurse came and lowered my head. My blood pressure dropped to 91/39. I didn’t end up passing out, but it was really hard to not want to go to sleep. That tired me out.

The reason these episodes are confusing is because I am not having any fluid taken off. If they were removing fluid, then there may be a reason for my blood pressure to drop. But all that is happening is my blood is getting cleaned. All I can really say at this point is that I hope my blood pressure stops dropping like that. It’s a really awful feeling, and I am afraid I am going to lose bladder control and wet myself while I am sitting there. I do not want to go home in peed-in clothes. Yuck.

Other Changes
I think today was the first day I noticed that while I am tired it is a different kind of tired. It feels like the lack-of-sleep tired; not the I’ve-slept-for-eight-hours-but-still-wake-up-exhausted tired.

I also noticed that I am wanting to eat more meat. I’ve never been a huge meat eater, but the last while all I have really wanted to eat are light things, like vegetables. Now I am craving hamburgers and chicken.

I am away from home so much. I feel like it is unfair to Bruce. It seems to me as though he is pretty much single-parenting. My family comes every night I am getting a dialysis treatment to see me at the hospital, and I still read a chapter of Harry Potter to the kids every night. But for the most part I am feeling like a useless parent.

I don’t know how my son is doing with all this. Almost every day he says he wishes I didn’t have to do dialysis. I know he doesn’t like change. He used to say all the time that he wished I wasn’t in school. We are trying to help him as best we can. I just don’t know if we are or not. I guess we’ll find out in 20 years or so.

Conclusion
Overall, this is not normal yet as we are all in transition. And for those who have asked if there is anything you can do, I ask that you would pray for us. Don’t be afraid to give me a hug if you see me. Hugs are wonderful. And share with me what is going on in your life, too. Sometimes I feel so self-centered. I’d like to know how you are doing, too. We are all on a journey, and I would like to share it with you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Adelle for sharing this! I feel for you and your family an the changes you all must face. Please know that I will keep you in my prayers!
Just thought my fav verse might help! Deuteronomy 31:6
" be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be afraid of them, for the Lord your God goes with you and He will never leave you nor forsake you"

Anonymous said...

Oh, Adelle! I felt light headed and awful just reading about your experiences!
You are NOT a useless parent! You are working so hard and your family know it. You are so loved and so loving. I won't stop praying. I know things will get easier. Hopefully soon!
Audra