Monday, February 06, 2012

Three More Treatments - Three Weeks Done

Hooray! I am beginning to feel like I have more energy. I am feeling more chipper and like I can accomplish so much more again! What has been exciting to hear is a couple of friends of mine have said they can see that I am starting to look better. And other than feeling like a pin cushion, dialysis is pretty good.

Not that all the kinks have been ironed out yet. My last treatment was the first one with two needles. The first eight treatments were with just one needle. Because of the two blows, they wanted to make sure my arm had a chance to heal a little before giving it the double-poke. Even with the double poke, there was a small issue. One of the needles was near where a blow was, so it was a little tender. Actually, it hurt through the whole treatment. The nurses were nice and put some ice in a glove and taped it to my arm, which made the pain bearable. But when the needle was pulled out, I am afraid to say that I yelled (and cried). It hurt like the Dickens!

(Speaking of Dickens – as an aside, I really liked reading the unabridged version of David Copperfield. I should get it out and read it again sometime. But Oliver Twist was heartbreaking. I am not sure I can put myself through that one, again.)

The bruises on my arms are looking better, too. The middle part is looking really good. Most of the bruising is just around the outside and, I can bend my arm all the way now, so the swelling has gone down considerably.

One thing I am still working out is how to get my studying done. You wouldn’t believe how hard it is to try to do one-handed. And sometimes I am distracted and have a hard time concentrating. There are beeps going off and people talking. And I can’t get up and move around for a break every half hour or so. My bum hurts from sitting for so long (about 4 and a half hours). Typing is painfully slow. So I can do the readings, but then have to go back to do my briefs. I am afraid to say that I haven’t gone back to do the briefing, yet. I have a lot of catching up to do over the February break!

I’ll be interested to hear what my blood test results say. I don’t know how often they will be doing blood tests. I used to have to go once a month (although I really only managed to make it once every two months – oops!). I’ll have to remember to ask the nurses next time I have a treatment how often they will be doing my blood work.

No comments: