Monday, February 27, 2012

Moved "Across the Street"

On Saturday I had my first treatment over at the satellite unit rather than in the hospital. I had been warned that I would probably eventually be moved "across the street." Even on my first day the nurses mentioned that I would probably be sent over there eventually and that I would most likely like it there. The satellite dialysis unit is, from my understanding, where people who are less needy go for their treatments. I was told that I would be sent over there once my treatments were going well and if I could hold my own site afterward and if I was fairly independent. Alternatively, I would be sent over if they needed the beds at the hospital and I was the best candidate to be moved over, they would send me. Or, I could end up staying at the hospital for a while even if I was ready to go to the satellite unit if there weren't any beds available across the street. It was funny. It almost reminded me of law. Whenever you ask a question in a law class, 90% of the time the answer is, "It depends!" When I asked when I would move to the satellite unit, the answer felt a lot like, "It depends!" Do you ever feel like there are themes in your life? I do.

The nurses from my first treatment were right. I did like being at the satellite unit for my dialysis treatment. First, I can park my car right there and not have to walk a ways to my car so late at night when I am done. Second, the nurses didn't seem so harried as they do at the hospital. Not that the nurses at the hospital are flustered or anything like that. It is just a calmer atmosphere. I think that must have to do with the level of care that the patients need at the hospital compared to at the satellite unit. The patients are much higher needs at the hospital.

I don't know if I will be staying at the satellite unit, though. The message I got was that I was to go there for a week and then, "We'll see." Since I didn't actually talk with anyone about why I was going to the satellite unit, I don't know if it is because I was ready to be there, or if they needed the bed at the hospital. It felt good though to be welcomed by the staff at the satellite unit and told that I really should stay with them. That wouldn't bother me at all! But we'll see how my next two treatments go.

No comments: