Thursday, February 03, 2011

Law School - Before The Beginning

In hindsight I am wondering if I should have been keeping track of my law school journey right from the beginning. Okay, well, I couldn’t really start at the beginning. That would have taken me back to the mid ‘90s when I was sitting in a law firm waiting to speak with the lawyer about my grandmother’s will. I looked around and thought, “This is what I want to do!” And thus began my journey to where I am today.

Today I am a law student. Sometimes it still seems unbelievable. Sometimes it is very obvious. But let me go back to before my first year of law began.

After submitting my application and writing the LSAT, I waited anxiously for any news about whether or not I had been accepted. I kept apologizing to Bruce for wasting the money applying. I wanted to get in so badly and was so afraid that I wasn’t good enough. After all, everyone knows the competition to get into law school is tough. I was also trying to prepare myself in case there was disappointment. I wasn’t sure that I would be able to go through the process of applying again.

My application had to be in by the end of January, and I wrote the LSAT at the beginning of February. Our marks came out at the end of February. When I talked with the admissions secretary at the college, she let me know that offers would be sent out anytime to the end of June. By the end of June, everyone should receive notification of whether they were accepted to the school or not.

June felt like forever to wait, so I mentally prepared myself for the wait. Then the articling student at our office said that really the school could offer people a place in the college anytime up to the beginning of the year. Oh my! I didn’t want to have to wait that long to find out. I wanted to be able to plan and give notice of my plans to my boss.

No comments: