Friday, February 04, 2011

Law School - Acceptance

Fortunately, I didn’t have to wait until the end of June. In April I received my letter of offer, and I promptly accepted. At the time I had no idea that even before my law school education began, I was already doing something that I was going to learn about. Contracts. It wasn’t an acceptance letter. It was a letter of offer. And my giving them money was the acceptance. Consideration was my deposit and their promise to let me go to school there. And apparently, even though I didn’t know it at the time, I had intentions to create legal relations with the school. Oh, and just to complete the equation - there is no defence.

So, I had a binding contract, whether I knew it or not. And let me tell you, there was no way I was going to breach that contract. I was vibrating with excitement. I was going to law school! Me! I am going to be a lawyer! Oh. My. Goodness. Someone pinch me. This is really happening?!?!

I wanted to tell the whole world. I can’t remember who I talked to that night, but I was on the phone all evening. I was bouncing the next day. I was floating for weeks. And it was going to be great. I would be going to school part time and working part time. What could be better?

Well, that same articling student tried to warn me that part time in law school was not going to be like part time in an undergrad degree. Boy, was she right. They send me the schedule and tell me to pick my classes. Make sure you pick this or this, and then you can’t pick this or this. Maximum credits allowed. Minimum credits allowed. What section for each class. Huh? What do you mean if I take these classes that last all year, they will be at such-and-such a time first semester, but such-and-such another time next semester? Don’t you people realize that I am trying to plan the rest of my life around these things? Are you kidding me?

Nope. Not kidding. Okay then. Well, still going to go. Now that I am in, no one is going to say I can’t go. I’ll make this work somehow. I don’t know how, but it will.

No comments: