Monday, February 14, 2011

Homemade Valentine's Day Cards

This year I have been busy and didn't really think about Valentine's Day coming up. Lately I feel as though I keep saying, "I'm so self-focused," or "It's all about me." So I wasn't really thinking about how close Valentine's Day was until my daughter asked about her Valentine's Day cards for her class.

Almost every year in the past I have helped our kids make their Valentine's cards. Because I have been so busy, Bruce suggested that maybe our daughter should just hand out bought cards. I asked her what she wanted.

Doing homemade cards is a lot of work, but in the end is worth the effort to see them all. We usually start well, but after about 2 or 3 cards, my daughter feels as though it is too much work and then it is a matter of pressing her to get them all done. This becomes a multi-day process with only a few cards getting done each day; therefore, I usually give myself a week or so to get them all done. This year we would only have the weekend to get it all done. So I was going to be okay if she wanted to hand out bought cards, but I wanted her to have the option, still.

Yes, she would like to make the cards. Okay. I will help. (Dad will not!) We will start on Saturday by printing our hearts from our Word Valentine hearts page on coloured paper and then cutting them out. About two hundred hearts later (I can't move my fingers!) we have a pile of hearts, the construction paper, glue and stickers ready to make the masterpieces. The sheet looks like the picture at the side and the link above should take you to a download of the Word document I made if you want to use it.
We worked on the cards Saturday and Sunday. Sunday was hard for me as I had been up late the night before helping with the Legal Follies ALSA After Party and didn't get home until 3 a.m. After church my daughter and I worked on the cards again. Actually, .... she worked on the cards and I sat in the chair at the table considering the inside of my eyelids most of the time. Every once in a while I would encourage her to keep going. She did great and finished them all. She even wrote a message on the backs of all of the cards.
Once again the end result is great. I hope these are memories my daughter will carry with her. I know I will.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

You got a good valentine cards collection. this is the fruit of your hard word. I would love to have these for my friends.

Computer Tricks said...

As valentine days is coming up, i am really excited for that day. Your cards make me more excited.