Saturday, March 12, 2005

About My Last Post

I've been thinking about my last post and have gone back to re-read it a couple of times wondering if I should edit it or delete it. It was one of those moments when I generalized everyone, and I know that it's not everyone. I also know that it's not uncommon when talking with people that a general consensus seems to be that Christians do not tip very well. I've also noticed that somewhere along the way we've lost understanding about the reasons why we are still on this planet -- especially in North America (or at least Canada).

My "stuff" doesn't matter. I don't need to have a T.V., DVD player, new car (although one that's working would be nice), two closets full of clothes (just for me), a house full of toys, movies, books, food, etc. And it seems as much as I get rid of, I manage to collect just as much stuff. And I know I'm not alone. As much as I have, I know people who have more stuff, or better stuff. And I'm not saying that we can't enjoy what we have, or that we can't have nice stuff. There are many people in the Bible who were blessed materially by God. What I mean is "What Am I Doing With My Stuff?" How do I view it? Is it mine? Have I earned it? Do I deserve it? NO! Everything, and I mean everything, I have is from God. Just as he gives, he could take away. Look at the tsunami. Some people lost everything. That could happen to me, too. (well, maybe not a tsunami, seeing as it would have to wipe out half of Canada before it reached here -- but some other sort of disaster)

And when it comes to money, you can really tell what a person's values are. If you look at where a person spends their money and their time, you will see what matters the most to them. It doesn't matter what a person says, it's what they do that is the true indicator. It just seems like we've missed the point the Bible was trying to tell us. The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. (I Timothy 6:10) Be content with what you have. If you have extra, why are you holding onto it so tightly? We brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. (I Timothy 6:7)

I said it before, and I'll say it again -- Relationships will last forever, Stuff will not. So if you are keeping your money to buy more "stuff", why not think about investing it into people instead? If your church reaches out to people, give your money there. If your church doesn't reach out to people, maybe it's because you aren't giving your money so they can't. If you do give to your church, maybe even over and beyond, think about giving into the life of a child. I have sponsered Compassion children for many years, and have not regretted it. I also have never lacked for what I've needed and am still able to make that commitment.

I guess my point is we are not on this planet to hoard all the blessings that God gives us. While we need to be wise with our money, it should not rule us, nor should it dictate our behaviour. Giving is great and very freeing.

No comments: