Sunday, April 06, 2003

Today Bruce asked me if doing the power point presentations for the sermon make the sermons not as powerful for me as hearing them the first time, and I said a little. But you know, today that just wasn't the case. Our pastor talked about how the Bible can draw us closer to God - and yet we read it so little. We can read a lot of things about God and it won't do us more good than reading the Bible itself. And, I am guilty of that, too. I have been a Christian for a long time now, and I still don't have a regular time to sit down and read the Bible. Oh, I go through spurts here and there where I will sit down and read whenever I get a chance. But I don't conciously make it a regualar part of my routine. And I can't even blame the kids because I didn't do it before I had kids, or even before I was married. (Or when I was married before kids, even). I know that it's a good thing. In fact, I know that it's a great thing. So why do I not sit down to read it?

And you would think that especially since we gave up watching television for Lent that I would have spent more time reading the Bible and in prayer and meditation. Nope. I've filled my time and my days with so many other things. So now the message from last week is finally hitting home. (It was on ridding our lives of the "good" things to make way for the "best" things).

I just can't believe that after all this time, I fit right in with Paul when he says that I do the things I don't want to do and don't do the things I want to do! *sigh*

When does maturity come? I remember when I was a kid that I thought my parents were so old and wise (they are really quite young!). So somewhere along the way I thought that I would grow up and be so wise. My parents knew all the answers, so I should eventually too. Right? Not! It really is true that my wisdom is as foolishness to God.

No comments: