Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dashed Dreams

I have mentioned here a number of times about how I’d like to become a lawyer eventually. Well, a couple weeks ago we talked with our financial advisor who basically said if I pursued school at this point with our finances the way they are and our kids the age they are, we’d be committing financial suicide. I need to count on being willing to put our family $100,000 in debt. Wow! What an incredibly high amount, you say. I thought the same thing. Then she explained it’s not just the cost of going to school, but we need to take into account that we will still have living expenses without an income. I feel as though my hopes have been dashed like a ship hitting jagged rocks in the shallows. It truly will be a miracle if I manage to become a lawyer.

2 comments:

Chasing Inspriation said...

One way to look at this is not that your dreams are dashed, but that God knows the desires of your heart and knows you. It would be easy to say it's not the right time, and it may be as easy as that. But it may also be something else.

He's waiting for you to give all to him. God gives us the desires of our heart as we seek him and know him and allow him to change us. As we become more and more like him.

A good friend once told me that we have it wrong when we say we need to open our hands and give our desires, wants and even beliefs to God. If our hands are open face up, we can still "hold" things. But, if we turn our hands palm down, nothing can remain in our hands.

That is what God wants. Everything. Sweetie, I know he is going to give you something great! He is doing amazing work within you. He always has been. It's his desire for you and his love for you.

Doesn't make the pain go away in this moment. Just remember, eventually isn't over yet and miracles are God's business.

And God longs for all of you. What a comfort!

Adelle said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Naomi. You're a sweetheart and I love you very much!