Friday, January 17, 2003

Hi! I managed to fast all of yesterday with no problem. I wasn't hungry and only felt the "need", "desire" to eat when I was around food. I was feeling so good that I was tempted to continue my fast through today, but I hadn't felt led to do a longer fast, so I broke it this morning. Bruce and I were talking about how in the Orthodox church, fasting once a week is normal. Apparently it's normal in the Jewish faith/community too. He suggested that I start fasting once a month before jumping in to do once a week. We'll see. I'm new to fasting and have had such a great experience so far that I think every Christian should do it. Of course, then I need to remember that we are not all the same, and I may have felt differently a number of years ago. Although, if I think about it, I've felt the importance to fast ever since I was in Bible College and just never have until recently. It has really been the support I receive from the Freedom You Bulletin Board that has encouraged me to step out and practice the discipline of fasting. Come to think of it, I should read Richard Foster's Book, Celebration of Discipline again. Especially the chapter on fasting.

No comments: