Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Travelling

I take travelling for granted. Not that we travel often or really very far.

This past weekend we visited my in-laws to celebrate my father-in-law’s 85th birthday. My brother-in-law lives on one side of us in Alberta. My parents-in-law live on the other side in Manitoba. So to visit, we usually have to travel in one direction or the other.

This time we went West. In typical Prairie Spring fashion, the weather was not very good. We had fog on our way out there, and snow and ice on the roads on the way back. This made travelling interesting. And prayerful. We were very thankful for the prayers for travelling that we received from our church family before we left. I am sure our guardian angels were working overtime.

Believe it or not, there were some people who were crazy enough to pass us, even with the less-than-desirable road conditions. Unfortunately, we think one of the trucks that passed us ended up in an accident. We were told there was a rollover on the highway ahead of us, and we had to wait an hour for the emergency crews to clean it up. There were also times when we were only going 60 km/hr on the highway, which made the day-long trip even longer. Although both Bruce and I agreed that we would rather get home later than not get home at all.

I was also thinking about how we take the distance we travel for granted. There was a time when a trek across the Prairies would have taken weeks, not hours. Even after the railroad connected the country, it still would have taken quite a while. The world has definitely become a smaller place.

Lord have Mercy on those who were in the rollover. Thank you God for watching over us.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I noticed in your profile that you have an interest in PKD. Do you have this disease or maybe someone you love? It is amazing how much we take God's protection for granite every step we take is directed by Him. Glad you had a safe trip.

Adelle said...

I have PKD. I have checkups every 3 months at the Chronic Renal Insufficiency (CRI) clinic as my kidney function is around the 30% mark. The next step for me is getting a shunt put in my arm to get ready for dialysis. My energy levels have been lower than I am used to, but it is still hard for me to think that it is because of my disease. I use everything else in my life as the excuse. So I guess while I openly admit that I have a chronic illness, I am still a little in denial.