Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Parenting

A couple of times tonight I was thinking about my parenting compared to the way I was parented. I know that most times we parent the way we were parented. However, twice tonight I was struck by how differently I approach my kids from the way it appeared that my parents interacted with me.

First, I don’t remember ever hearing an apology from my parents. Tonight on the way home from church I apologized to my son. I said something to him that was unfair and out-of-line, and let him know I was wrong. Second, I was tucking in my daughter and realized that there are only a handful of times I remember being tucked in by my mom. Those were special times which I loved.

I’m not sure what the reasoning was behind never apologizing. Unless it was because they assumed they were always right. And I wonder if not tucking me in was to try to help me be more independent. I’m not sure. But I was an angry and fearful child. While I was also strong-willed (quite stubborn, actually), it took me quite a while to gain confidence in myself. I came across self-assured, when really I was an emotional wreck.

I wonder what my kids will remember when they are my age. I hope they remember being loved.

No comments: