Thursday, March 05, 2009

Take a Benylin Day

When you were a kid, did you ever try to stay home sick? I soon learned that I had to prove to my mom I was practically dying and unable to move before she would let me stay home. Her favourite line was, “Well, Just go and if you still don’t feel well, then you can come home.” This has carried over into my adult life. Even if I am not feeling well, I still get ready and go to work. It is like I have been programmed into believing that in all circumstances you just push through. If you fall over in the meantime, well then you’ve convinced everyone around you that you really are sick and not faking it. The only thing is, all my co-workers hear me coughing and sneezing and blowing my nose, and probably think, “Why didn’t that woman stay home? Now we’re all going to get sick! Geesh!”

I had a rhythm going at work yesterday. Blow nose. Sanitize hands. Put Vaseline on nose. Sanitize hands. Blow. Sanitize. Vaseline. Sanitize. I was using so much sanitizer, one of my co-workers thought there was cleaning happening in the building.




This morning I didn't go into work. I won’t be taking Benylin, but I will drink lots of honey and lemon, gargle with salt water, and rub Vicks on my throat and face, and even on my feet with socks. I’m not sure any of that will help me get better faster. But at least while I’m resting I’ll smell nice.

No comments: