Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lent Begins

Lent in the Holy Orthodox Church is upon us. The first week or so hasn’t been so bad. That may be because we were busy with services every day, and twice on Sunday. But now that the first week is over, even though I’m tired, I am beginning to miss my time-waster: The Computer. I have spent many hours on Neopets, Facebook and Twitter whiling away my evenings staring at a screen, mesmerized and losing track of time. The computer is not just a time waster. It is a time stealer.

Which is funny considering this post is on the computer, eh? I realize that by taking away one bad habit, it is really just leaving room for another one to grow. Which is why this Lent I am hoping to replace my bad habits with good ones; like getting to bed at an earlier time and doing my rule of prayer.

One thing I noticed about going to services every day of the week. I began humming the songs of the Church in my spare time. I don’t remember all of the words, necessarily, but something is getting in there. It made me think of two things. First, that when our children were little and it was frustrating to take them to church, we were told that even though it may seem like nothing was happening (with them or with us) just being there would allow our faith to soak in. And second, is this what it’s like being in a cult? Sometimes it feels a little like being brainwashed. But willingly brainwashed. Being totally submersed in the culture to absorb it through every pore of my being.

I guess, really, that is what my faith is. Something that becomes the very essence of who I am. And hopefully that is Christ in me.

No comments: