Monday, April 04, 2005

Pilgrimage

I've joined a mailing list called Pilgrimage and just introduced myself. This is what I had to say:

I am a working mom (and love my job!) of two small children and am the wife of a wonderful husband (who takes care of the house very well). I have been aware of the spiritual disciplines for most of my Christian life; however, I don't practice them regularly. I don't think I've ever had a regular devotion time and the most Bible reading I ever did was when I was in Bible College. I try occassionally to fast and have tried to meditate once, I think. But most of my relationship with God has been talking to him all the time about anything and everything. I've even questioned how willing he has been to listen to me in the bathroom (that's where I get the most "free" time. :-D ). And I have a friend who laughs at me whenever we're talking about something and I say, "Ya. I've talked with God about that, and I still have an issue with him." And while I don't think that God prompts me to pick up a teabag or have the right change, I know that it's a two-way communication. Sometimes I actually feel kind of guilty and like maybe I'm not a "really spiritual" Christian because I don't devote "x" number of hours a week praying or reading my bible, or whatever. I kind of just exist and I can't imagine my life existing without God in it.

I would like to have a firmer foundation and grow with some more substance to my walk than what it's been. God has really be showing me how important it is to pray -- that needs to be my foundation. But there have been specific instances where he has shown me that it's very important for me to internalize (memorize)scripture, too. Unfortunately, I go in fits and spurts and am not really disciplined in keeping up with it.

Anyway, that's a little of me and where I'm at.

No comments: