Saturday, April 30, 2005

Nothing New Under the Sun

There have been many times when I've thought of writing a book. Not the same book. When I was a kid I thought of writing steamy romance novels, and then as I got older I thought about writing teen series books. I've dreamt of writing great words of wisdom so that others could learn to draw closer to God. So my range of what I would write has varied from fluff to deep thinking. But the other day I realized that while I've started writing, I never finish because when I have an idea I think, "Somebody's probably already written about that." And I'm worried that if I wrote something, somebody somewhere would think that what I wrote was plagiarism. And then I was reminded of the words of Solomon -- There is nothing new under the sun. After so many years of other authors writing, what could I possibly say that hasn't already been said?

Maybe I just get more cynical as I get older.

No comments: