Friday, March 01, 2013

Fast forward one year:



I am doing well on dialysis. I go three times a week. It has become a part of my life, which I am okay with overall, but sometimes it is frustrating because there are many things I have not been able to do or go to because of the time it takes. It is not all bad, though. I was complaining one time about how I have so much less family time because of dialysis, and my son said, “But we have family time Tuesdays and Thursdays!” My husband and kids come on those two days and we often play a game or two. They have become evenings my kids look forward to - so long as they can agree on the game we will play!

We have discovered there are quite a few different games we can play at dialysis. The nurses are really nice and allow me to have an extra table for my schoolwork or for my family. A lot of the people at dialysis watch TV, but I rarely ever do. I am usually on the computer, reading, or playing games with my family. One of the nurses commented that she had never seen a family with as many interesting games as we have. We are kind of geeky that way. Some of the games we currently have in our bag to bring to dialysis: Monopoly Deal, Munchkin, Bohnanza (although we have to get creative with the space), Ablaze!, Vizia, Flux, and Zombie Dice. We have also played Yahtzee, Settlers of Catan (the board barely fits on the table, so we only did it once or twice), Talisman (which we only did once. We had to put 3 tables together for that one, so didn’t do it again), and Savage Worlds (we each had our own little box for our dice and tokens, etc.). I imagine we could also play games like Trouble or Parcheesi, but haven’t tried those ones yet.

I am glad that my family has adjusted so well to the time I have to spend at dialysis. Because it takes so much time, there is the possibility that I will qualify for a disability benefit. Last year I received a form for income tax; however, the doctor marked off that my treatments take less than 14 hours per week. That is not true. I actually calculate on average I am spending about 15 hours per week at the clinic. While I am hooked up to the dialysis machine for 4 hours at a time (12 hours per week), it takes time to get me set up on the machine and then it also takes time after to take me off and stop the bleeding. Some people are lucky and stop bleeding fairly quickly. I am not one of those people. I hold my sites for at least 15 minutes afterward  because my bottom site has a tendency to leak if I don’t.  My understanding is that it is because I have an upper arm A/V Fistula which has more pressure.  This year I talked with the social worker and now have my form showing that my treatments take more the 14 hours per week.

School takes up most of the rest of my time. I am a 2L now. I have managed to pass all my semesters and maintain my passing average. I commented to one of my profs that every semester I wonder how I am going to get everything done, but every semester I manage to get through and pass. I have also been working on my Mary Kay business, so I will leave you with a dialysis picture of my reading Applause - the Mary Kay magazine for consultants.







No comments: